Antiracism Strategic Plan
OCO met multiple times during the summer of 2020 to craft our Antiracism Strategic Plan. Throughout the next six months, OCO continued to regularly hold small group and all-staff meetings to discuss ways to imbed the strategic plan into all policies and procedures. OCO's actions in in response to the below steps will be provided in the anticipated Juneteenth race equity report.
- Incorporate antiracism in OCO mission and values statements.
- Apply and specifically address a race equity lens to all OCO systemic reports.
- Apply race equity lens to individual investigations and be aware of how racial bias/injustice may have negatively impacted the involved Incarcerated Individual.
- Implement regular OCO internal discussions/trainings on antiracism strategies and racial justice topics in order to continue to lift up and reinforce the concepts within the agency.
- Engage with Dr. Johnson, DOC’s Equity and Inclusion Administrator, to support DOC's internal racial justice work.
- Proactively seek external trainings from other organizations involved in race equity, racial bias and discrimination investigative work (AG, EEO, Civil Rights, etc.)
- Publish an annual report on allegations of racial bias that are received by OCO, with recommendations for improvement and follow up.
- Create space to directly hear from incarcerated individuals regarding racial bias in the Washington DOC system.